Chinese Government Scholarship-Bilateral Program
Bilateral Program includes a full or partial scholarship established by MOE in accordance with educational exchange agreements or consensus between Chinese government and governments of other countries, institutions, universities or international organizations
1- Supporting Categories, Duration and Instruction Language
The Bilateral Program supports undergraduate students, graduate students, general scholars and senior scholars. Please consult the dispatching authorities of your home country for the categories available.
Undergraduate scholarship recipients must register for Chinese-taught credit courses. Graduate and non-degree scholarship students can register for either the Chinese-taught program or the English-taught program if applicable. Program Search (By visiting http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua or http://www.campuschina.org) can help you find the program and university you’re interested in.
The scholarship covers both major study and Chinese language (preparatory study).
|Supporting Categories||Major Study(year)||Chinese Language(Preparatory Study)(year)||Duration of
|Undergraduate students||4-5||1- 2||4-7|
|Doctoral students||3-4||1- 2||3-6|
|General scholars||up to 1||up to 1||up to 2|
|Senior scholars||up to 1||up to 1||up to 2|
2- Scholarship Coverage
The Bilateral Program provides both full scholarships and partial scholarships. Please refer to Introduction to CGS—Coverage and Standard for details of each item.
3- Where and When to Apply
Where to Apply
Apply to the dispatching authorities for overseas study of your home country.
When to Apply
You need to apply between early January and early April. Please consult the dispatching authorities for the specific deadline of each year.
1. Applicants must be a citizen of a country other than the People’s Republic of China, and be in good health.
2. The requirements for applicants’ degree and age are that applicants must:
be a high school graduate under the age of 25 when applying for the undergraduate programs;
be a bachelor’s degree holder under the age of 35 when applying for the master’s programs;
be a master’s degree holder under the age of 40 when applying for the doctoral programs;
be under the age of 45 and have a high school diploma (or higher) when applying for the general scholar programs;
be a master’s degree holder or an associate professor (or above) under the age of 50 when applying for the senior scholar programs.
5- Application Procedure
Step 1 – Apply to the dispatching authorities for overseas study of your home country for CGS opportunity;
Step 2 – Apply to your target university for the Pre-admission Letter once recommended by the dispatching authorities as an eligible candidate (you will receive an Award Letter for CGS Candidate);
Step 3 – Complete the online application procedure at CSC Online Application System for International Students (Visit http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua or http://www.campuschina.org and click “Application Online” to log in), submit online the completed Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship and print a hard copy. You should consult the dispatching authorities for overseas study of your home country for Instructions of CSC Online Application System for International Students and Agency Number;
Step 4 – Submit all of your application documents to the dispatching authorities of your home country before the deadline.
Only applications of recommended candidates from dispatching authorities will be considered. Candidates holding a Pre-admission Letter will be placed in the host university; those without the Pre-admission Letter should accept CSC’s placement of university.
6- Application Documents (in duplicate)
1. Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship (written in Chinese or English);
2. Notarized highest diploma (photocopy);
Prospective diploma recipients must submit official document issued by your current school to prove your current student status or expected graduation date. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations.
3. Academic transcripts (written in Chinese or English);
Transcripts in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations.
4. A Study Plan or Research Proposal (written in Chinese or English);
This should be a minimum of 200 words for undergraduate students, 500 words for non-degree students, and 800 words for graduate students.
5. Two Recommendation Letters (written in Chinese or English);
Applicants for the graduate programs or the senior scholar programs must submit two recommendation letters signed by a professor or an associate professor.
6. A CD of your own works (only required for arts students);
Applicants for music studies are requested to submit a CD of their own musical works. Applicants for the fine arts programs must submit a CD of their own works which include two sketches, two color paintings and two other works.
7. Valid documents of your legal guardians in China (only required for applicants under the age of 18);
8. Foreigner Physical Examination Form (photocopy), (written in English, only required for applicants planning to stay in China for more than 6 months, can be downloaded from http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua or http://www.campuschina.org); The physical examinations must cover all of the items listed in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. Incomplete forms or forms without the signature of the attending physician, or the official stamp of the hospital, or a sealed photograph of the applicant are considered as invalid. Please carefully plan your physical examination schedule as the result is valid for only 6 months.
9. The copy of Pre-admission Letter from designated Chinese university (if available);
10. The copy of HSK Certificate (if available).
All documents should be bound together on top left corner in the order of 6.1 to 6.10.
You should submit TWO sets of bound documents.
No application documents will be returned.
7- Placement & Scholarship Confirmation
1. Application documents of recommended candidates from dispatching authorities will be considered by CSC for eligibility and qualification. Ineligible or incomplete applications will not be considered.
2. Qualified applications will be sent to universities for placement. Based on various factors, such as the different scholarship funding requirements of every country, the host university’s teaching capacity, study length and applicants’ criteria, CSC reserves the right to make necessary adjustments/changes to the candidate’s host university, field of study, supporting categories and duration of scholarship. Applications enclosed with the Pre-admission Letter will be sent to the universities who issued that Letter for placement confirmation.
3. After placement confirmation by Chinese universities, scholarship Recipients will get Chinese government scholarships to study in China with approval by CSC. Each scholarship recipient will be granted with no more than one scholarship.
4. CSC reviews the placement results, approves the List of Scholarship Recipients and sends the admission documents to the Chinese embassy or consulate-general before July 31st. The Chinese embassy or consulate-general will send the admission documents (List of Scholarship Recipients, Admission Letter and Visa Application Form for Study in China (JW201)) to the dispatching authorities or scholarship recipients.
5. Scholarship recipients shall not change their host university, field of study, or duration of study unless they give up the grant.
6. Scholarship will not be reserved if the scholarship recipient cannot register before the registration deadline.
8- Contact information of CSC
Asia Tel： 0086-10-66093928 66093923
E-mail： email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
Africa Tel： 0086-10-66093921 66093919
E-mail： email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
Europe Tel： 0086-10-66093953
America & Oceania Tel： 0086-10-66093977
Website: http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua or http://www.campuschina.org
Address: Division of International Students Affairs, China Scholarship Council
Level 13, Building A3, No.9 Chegongzhuang Avenue, Beijing, P.R China